Employment Services Expands to Serve More Clients
The Employment Services program is now supported by a full-time staff person to help people search for employment, develop a resume, improve interview skills, gain additional training and access public transportation.
For the past three years, JFS Employment Specialist Nancy Cohen has split her time between Emergency Financial Services and Employment Services. With new funding from the St. Paul Jewish Federation, Nancy can now focus, full-time, on Employment Services. She brings a total of 12 years of expertise in this field, including work with the state and county CareerForce centers.
JFS has long provided employment services to adult residents 18 and over living in the East Metro. The program works with adults seeking their first job in the United States, as well as those seeking a better job or advancement in a new career, mid-career or late career. The program partners with the Hubbs Center for Adult Education. Hubbs Center currently serves 400 to 500 adult students, most of whom are refugees or immigrants.
Available services include:
- vocational assessment including interests, skills and strongest assets to explore appropriate careers.
- access to limited training funds to earn required credentials and certificates such as certified nursing assistant or forklift operator, IT training, and licensed social work exams.
- assistance with online job search. Nancy will sit with clients and teach them how to search for jobs and complete applications and submit resumes.
- assessing barriers to success, for example transportation, disabilities, day care, English language proficiency, computer and phone access.
- transportation assistance in the form of bus cards during job search and first month of employment.
- soft skills training to improve interview and communication skills through mock interviews.
- resume coaching using today’s best practices and maximizing experience.
- assistance with long-term career goal development for those wanting more from their employment.
For more information, contact Nancy Cohen, Employment Specialist, (651) 329-1092, firstname.lastname@example.org.