Help Wanted For the Annual B’Yachad Gift Program
B’Yachad means “together” in Hebrew, and JFS is pleased to continue its annual tradition of coming together with the community to provide JFS clients and other referred individuals in need with gifts to let them know they are being thought of during the holiday season.
In keeping with our commitment to respond to the needs of both the Jewish community and the community at large, each year JFS and our Jewish agency partners organize and deliver festive gift bags to 180 individuals and families. The B’Yachad program provides customized bags filled with household/personal care items and gifts to enhance joy, wellness and fulfillment while being sensitive to the cultural and spiritual needs of our diverse client groups.
B’Yachad has a remarkable history of collaboration with community agencies. Each year, board members and constituents in St. Paul community service organizations and synagogues contribute their time as gift shoppers, as mitzvah-makers who wrap the festive gift bags and as delivery volunteers with their friends and family. We’ve been thrilled that many individuals and families also donate miscellaneous items to the B’Yachad bins that are placed throughout the community, or donate cash or gift cards to help spread the spirit.
Here are a few ways you can support B’Yachad, have fun in service of others, and make an impact on a single client and their family during the holiday season:
- Shop for gifts using client-specific wish lists that will be distributed in late October to leaders and supporters of Jewish community agencies.
- Help to connect us to businesses and community donors who can provide in-kind and financial support.
- Fill up the B’Yachad bin located in the JFS lobby, and/or in the offices of our partner agencies including the JCC, Talmud Torah, St. Paul Jewish Federation and local synagogues. Each will display some ideas for specific gift items to donate at that location.
- Wrap gifts! Join us for a fun gift wrapping event on Sunday, December 8 from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm at our pop-up space in Sibley Plaza on West 7th.
- Deliver gifts! All hands on deck for gift bag delivery on Sunday, December 15th, beginning at 10:00 am. Russian-speaking volunteers are especially needed to help with deliveries.
Volunteering to help with the B’Yachad Program provides a perfect opportunity to do a mitzvah (good deed) with your family, friends, or work team. Children ages 10 and above are welcome to help with deliveries to our clients, mostly in the Highland Park area or in nearby Hennepin County.